Immigrant Visa

Sponsorship of Immigrant Visa Petitions is subject to System Regulations 33.99.09 Employment of Foreign Nationals, Section 7.

Department Heads should complete the Authorization and Request for Immigration Services to recommend and begin sponsorship for Lawful Permanent Resident Status for a foreign national employee.

The types of immigrant petitions typically sponsored by Texas A&M University include the following:

First Preference Employment-based (EB1)

Outstanding Researcher/Professors
Available to individuals with at least three years of experience in teaching or research; who have an offer of employment in a tenure, tenure-track position or a position with the expectation of regular employment; and, who can demonstrates that their work is outstanding and internationally recognized. This may be accomplished by presenting evidence of at least two of the following:

  • Receipt of a major international prize or award for outstanding achievement in the academic field,
  • Membership in associations that require outstanding achievements of their members,
  • Material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work,
  • Participation as a judge of the work of others in the field,
  • Original contributions in the field, or
  • Authorship of scholarly books or articles in journals with international circulation.

Second Preference Employment-based Immigrant Visa Petitions

Special Handling 
Special Handling is a type of Labor Certification process that is limited only to teaching positions at institutions of higher education. The position for which this type of Labor Certification is sought must involve actual classroom teaching.

PERM Labor Certification 
(2nd Preference for Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees) The PERM Labor Certification is a process by which the Department of Labor certifies that there is a shortage of U.S. workers in the occupation for which the employer seeks a labor certification and in the area of intended employment. If the position is certified, the employer may petition an immigrant worker. The worker must hold an advanced degree and engage in a position that requires an advanced degree.


Norma Lozano

HR Generalist

P| (361) 825-2198